Saturday, December 19, 2009

Chapel, Lutheran Village at Wolf Creek, Holland

I was actually out by there to take a few pictures of First Baptist across the street, but then I noticed the chapel, and thought ... what the heck, check it out ...
Cuts a rather dramatic profile ...
Now, of course one does not have to be Lutheran to live at Wolf Creek, or to receive their services, which are offered without regard to religious faith. Nonetheless, I was just a bit surprised (and pleased) to enter the chapel and see ...
Of course, the chapel is used for Mass for Catholic residents, as well as for Lutheran worship services and probably other Protestant services as well.
The chapel also functions as an all-purpose room, with the chancel area behind those folding panels when services are not being conducted. I asked one of the staffers if there was any way I could see the altar. She said the panels were tricky to get open, but one panel at the side was part-way open so I was able to go back.Simple and nice, pleasant and calming ... assuming those banners are changed with the liturgical seasons ...
Now I really like this ...
I don't know whether or not they put her to the side during Lutheran services, but it's my hope that they leave her right where she is. Martin Luther would have.
That's what I need for at home ... an electric one. Much safer when you have a dozen cats jumping around!
Wolf Creek had some lovely Christmas decorations ...
Big beautiful tree ...
Wishing a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! Enjoy your holidays!

3 comments:

  1. Very Uncluttered. On the picture of Jesus on the Cross, I would of liked to seen you use a little artistic license and move the microphone out of the shot and move the Crucifix so that all you had was the blue Star background. Very interesting to have the shared faith type setup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russ -- At the time, I just didn't feel free to move anything around. I wonder if it could be photoshopped?

    It IS interesting to have the shared-faith setup, to have the chapel that actively set up for shared beliefs. The Stations and holy water really did come as a surprise to me, but then I thought -- why not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The exterior is certainly more visually stunning than the interior, however it could be difficult to tell with the sanctuary area covered up.

    ReplyDelete